Report January–February 2009
This is the third report of Wikimedia Hungary, detailing the events of the January–February period of 2009.
- We have registered the domains for most of the Hungarian projects:
- We registered in two databases of nonprofit organisations: nonprofit.hu and adhat.hu (the biggest Hungarian public database of NGO's).
- Wikimedia Hungary has joined the non-profit ad service, Bloggerunió and thus our banner is displayed on over sixty blogs.
- A mailing list for announcements was created for members of the press.
- We started cooperating with several museums.
- An online membership registration interface was created to facilitate joining the chapter.
- Ongoing organisation and planning for the 2009 chapters' and developers' meetup.
- We had a Board meeting where we decided on several matters:
- we admitted new members (reaching the total of 22 members at this point);
- created and approved a fund management policy;
- a 2009 budget proposal was approved (a General Assembly will have to approve the budget formally);
- we agreed on providing the necessary budget for the Berlin meetings (to complement the financial help the other chapters have gracefully offered);
- most importantly we decided on starting our first programs (in March):
- We filed our taxes.
- The association was represented at two a celebration of János Bolyai and Zoltán Bay.
- We held a Wikipedia and Wikimedia presentation in the city library of Szeged.
- In the joint fundraising with the Wikimedia Foundation we have collected 69 500 forints in donation ($316 by the 20 January exchange rate, $282 calculating by 5 March rates). Per the contract and ensuing agreement with the Foundation half of these funds will be spent on the awards of our international picture competition.
News about the Hungarian Wikimedia projects
- The Hungarian Wikisource has reached 10 000 articles on 1 February, and the Hungarian Wiktionary had its 100 000th entry on 17 February.
- On 16 February the Hungarian Wikipedia's article count surpassed the inactive Volapük Wikipedia and thus joined the company of the top 20 language editions. Almost concurrently with this the number of edits reached 5 million, meaning that there is one Wikipedia edit for every second Hungarian citizen (and every third Hungarian speaker).
In other news
As of 30 January Google Translate supports translating to and from Hungarian - the results could get better, but this is an important step in making the Hungarian web accessible to the world and vice versa.
Press and media presence
- The results of the WMF fundraiser were reported in many publications, our vice president and president gave interviews on the subject:
- 6 millió dollár gyűlt össze a Wikipedia működtetésére – kisalfold.hu, 3 January 2009
- 6 millió dollárt gyűjtöttek össze a Wikipediának – index.hu, 3 January 2009
- 6 millió dollárból gazdálkodhat a Wikipedia – sg.hu, 3 January 2009
- Összegyűlt a pénz a Wikipédia működésére – zoom.hu, 3 January 2009 (interview with our vice president)
- Interview with our president (and its reprints):
- Magyarok a Wikipedia javára adakozók között – sg.hu, 5 January 2009
- Magyarok a Wikipedia javára adakozók között – dunatv.hu, 5 January 2009
- Magyar adakozók – hirextra.hu, 5 January 2009
- Magyarok is adakoztak a Wikipediának – kulturpart.hu, 6 January 2009
- Magyarok a Wikipedia javára adakozók között – prim.hu, 6 January 2009
- A leading blog on Web 2.0 questions has asked their readers to edit the Hungarian Wikipedia, other blogs joined in later:
- Mentsük meg a magyar Wikipédia becsületét – "Let's save the honour of the Hungarian Wikipedia" – Webisztán, 9 January 2009
- Mentsük meg a magyar Wikipédia becsületét – Könyvesblog, 9 January 2009
- Mozgalom a még ütősebb magyar wikiért – Urban Legends, 9 January 2009
- Mentsük meg a magyar Wikipédia becsületét – Kockablog, 9 January 2009
- Újabb nyitott enciklopédia a világhálón – "Yet another open encyclopedia on the internet" – Népszabadság, 17 January 2009
- Legyen az Encyclopædia Britannica szerzője! – "Become an author of Encylopaedia Britannica" – index.hu, 23 January 2009
- A Wikipédia szigorítani akarja a szabályokat – "Wikipedia wants to adopt stricter rules" – index.hu, 27 January 2009
- Jelölt változatok – it-business.hu, 2009. február 2. (interview with our president)
- Wikimédia – Bloggerunió (blog), 6 February 2009 (interviw with our vice president)
- Sunyi vandalizmus – "Sly vandalism" – Népszabadság, 7 February 2009
- Kultjáték Wikipediára – "Cult game for Wikipedia" – index.hu, 17 February 2009
- Jimmy Wales - reálisan a Wikipediáról – "Jimmy Wales - realistically about Wikipedia" – sg.hu, 20 February 2009
- Történelemhamisítás két kattintással – "Falsifying history with two clicks" – index.hu, 21 February 2009